Subject: Re: [boost] [review queue] What to do about the library review queue?
From: Stefan Seefeld (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-03-15 16:40:00

On 15.03.2017 12:16, Niall Douglas via Boost wrote:
> If we at least could segment
> the bad libraries into a "bad Boost" distro, it would be a huge improvement.

Speaking of segmentation (I'm deliberately avoiding to comment on your
rant about flaws in specific libraries): I think it's a huge waste of
effort that the attempt to modularize Boost is stalled. It could be
really useful if pushed further, but in its current state is almost
useless to users as well as most developers.

Once Boost libraries are decoupled and autonomous, the "Boost branding"
would take on a different meaning, as users could more freely and
deliberately pick what Boost library they want as part of their
development (as well as runtime) platform.

Likewise, I still don't understand why build and test infrastructure
keeps being a central issue (in particular a "brand damaging" one, as
you state). Providing helpful tools for library developers to use is
certainly useful, but shouldn't be in any way constraining. And if
people strive for accelerated growth, trying to push for universal
policies and tools becomes an ever increasing problem.

        Stefan