Subject: Re: [boost] [quickbook] diagnosing a missing [endsect]?
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-03-16 13:10:52

Daniel James wrote:
> There already is a warning if a section isn't closed at the end of any
> file which starts with a docinfo block:
>
> $ cd libs/core/doc
> $ git checkout 064cfd3d732621bea36733ca3c4e513c83654418^
> $ quickbook core.qbk
> Generating Output File: core.xml
> core.qbk: warning: Missing [endsect] detected at end of file.
>
> Although I imagine it can easily get lost in all the output from boost
> build, doxygen and boostbook.

It does, that's the problem.

> Could add an option to make it an error I suppose.

I can't imagine why we'd want that to not be an error, although at this
point making it an error would probably break something that used to work
fine.

Thinking about it a bit more, what'd be really nice to have is a way to
validate .qbk files that could be invoked from Travis/Appveyor, so that we
can run that in PRs. But the problem here is that this validator would
ideally be written in Python, so as to not require building Quickbook.
(Similar to how I had to partially port Boostdep to Python to be able to use
it in CI to install dependencies.)