Subject: Re: [boost] [release] 1.64.0 please test master snapshot..
From: John Maddock (jz.maddock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-03-17 09:00:55

>> Personally I would prefer 14.10 (aka 1410) because of purely selfish
>> reasons. As it would mean Boost Predef already says that "14.10" is the
>> version. But otherwise I don't care what version number it is. I'm beyond
>> exhausted from dealing with VS version numbers. Which means..
>>
>> 1. For the beta the version is "14.10", aka "1410".
>> 2. And we'll apply the Boost Config patch accordingly.
>> 3. After beta everyone can fight over what the "real" version number should
>> be.
>> 4. Apply changes after enough people agree. And if that's fast enough.. We
>> can do another beta. Other we just wait for the release to have the change.
> Where is 14.10 coming from?
> In the IDE and vcxproj files I only see 141.

Nod.

I asked about this on the PR and got no reply, so let's try again here...

We have history here - of using 3 figure version names, that includes
VC7.1 which had the "71" suffix, IMO the trailing zero is at best
superfluous, and at worst confusing. We should be consistent both with
what we've done before, and with what MSVC reports.

There is another issue with Boost.Build:

* Open up a Visual studio 2017 command prompt, and bootstrap, then:
* ./b2 toolset=msvc-14.10 builds libraries with the "1410" suffix, but:
* ./b2 toolset=msvc-14.1 also seems to work and builds libraries with a
"141" suffix.

That shouldn't happen!

Best, John.

---