Boost logo

Boost :

Subject: Re: [boost] [release] 1.64.0 Delayed because of Microsoft (version numbers)
From: John Maddock (jz.maddock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-03-17 18:08:16

On 17/03/2017 15:12, Rene Rivera via Boost wrote:
> Sorry to say the beta release of 1.64.0 is hereby going to be delayed for
> at least another week. The confusion of VS2017 version numbers and the
> communities inability to address this issue after the beta is to blame.
> To address the situation the beta release will be published when one of the
> two tasks below are completed:
> (A) Boost Config changes to use 1410 as the autolink version to match what
> the currently working generated libs are taggeg with.

I've cherry picked the relevant commits to master and pushed those - so
Config and Build are consistent now.

However, IMO the name used is just plain wrong - note that both Peter
Dimov and myself have both typed in the "wrong" name by mistake *even
when we know what the "right" name is*. Worse, if you do type in
toolset=msvc-14.1 by mistake, something (not sure what) still happens
and libraries with a "141" suffix are generated, IMO we need to fix that
before release, though not necessarily before beta.


> Or:
> (B) The community decides what version number we should be using and the
> appropriate PRs are filed and applied and tested for all the repos
> involved. Which means:
> 1. The community has until 12:00 CDT US March 18 to decide on what the vc
> version number and tag should be.
> 2. The community must post PRs for the places where we reference VS2017
> version numbers to the new number. Those are at least:
> <>
> <>
> <>
> <>
> People have until 17:00 CDT Monday March 20 to submit those PRs.
> 3. The community can test the resulting master snapshot when available at
> the latest 24:00 Monday March 20.
> 4. If all goes well we can have a beta release on Wednesday March 22 (ie
> one week late).

This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.

Boost list run by bdawes at, gregod at, cpdaniel at, john at