Subject: Re: [boost] About all these metaprogramming libraries
From: Vladimir Batov (Vladimir.Batov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-03-19 02:48:14

On 2017-03-19 12:02, Peter Dimov via Boost wrote:
> Paul Fultz II wrote:
>
>> It would be nice to see better collaboration between authors to build
>> an unifying metaprogramming library, rather than competing against
>> each other. Of course, this can be somewhat difficult as they have
>> different fundamental concepts.
>
> As I see it, it's the fundamental concepts competing against each
> other, and that's how it should be; how else we'll find out which
> approach is best?

Would not that be better to contain the battle among the gurus, the lib
developers. So that they are forced to cooperate, to consider
alternatives, to come up with one best (in their collective opinion)
solution... and leave the user out of it? Otherwise users are forced to
consider 4 solutions, to evaluate those and to decide (potentially
incorrectly) which one to use. As a user I personally do not have the
resources and the knowledge to do that. Taking/choosing a Boost lib I've
always known that there was a lot of effort spent evaluating,
optimizing, improving, etc. the lib. So that I get the best I can get.