Subject: Re: [boost] [release] 1.64.0 Delayed because of Microsoft (version numbers)
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-03-19 15:17:23

On 19 March 2017 at 13:10, Tom Kent via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Option 1 - 14.10 Use microsoft toolset version based on cl.exe version -5.
> This is the official version of the c++ toolset that microsoft has been
> pushing (somewhere). The new $(VCToolsVersion) macro is "14.10.25017", this
> macro is not available in previous versions of visual studio.
>
> build bootstrap would use bootstrap.bat vc1410

[snip]

> Option 2 - 14.1 Use the abbreviated toolset version that microsoft uses for
> their toolset version. The $(PlatformToolsetVersion) macro is "141". In
> VS2015 this was "140".

[snip]

> I *think* that is all the reasonable options. Let the consensus form!

I disagree, I think we should limit ourselves to values that Microsoft
actually uses. As far as I'm aware, they don't use 1410, and they
don't use 14.1. There are already too many ways of writing the version
number, adding more will just add to the confusion.

We should also make as few assumptions about the correspondence
between different version numbers as possible. We shouldn't assume
that the toolset version is the compiler minus 5. Similarly the idea
that there's a fixed correspondence between whatever 141 and 14.10
represents, we should try to deal with the possibility 142 - 14.10,
141 - 14.11, 142 - 14.11 and 237 - 18.65, or whatever Microsoft does
10 years down the line.