Subject: Re: [boost] Attn: New Boost library policy text ready for approval
From: Ronald Garcia (rxg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-03-20 00:01:21

Hi all,

I’ve been following the conversation on the Review Schedule, and it seems to be converging on a nice solution.
I had been thinking that it would be a good idea to purge the schedule and start anew. Note that there are some libraries
have listed managers but have not been scheduled for review long after a manager volunteered, so it’s worth
also double-checking libraries that have managers (minus those where a manager has volunteered this calendar year).

I am not fond of listing Reddit in the same class of “determine interest” as boost-dev and the incubator. That may be a useful
place to get feedback, but is outside the boost community, and there are likely other venues to consider aside from reddit if we’re going to
cast a wider net.

The text on the current page candidate is stricter in tone than
the original wording in the suggestion to the steering committee:

versus

"To find someone to endorse a new library for review, the library
author ought to ideally canvas for a library's motivation before they
ever begin writing or designing it, but failing that they need to
approach boost-dev and publicise their library seeking people to
publicly endorse it for review. Other forums work too e.g. reddit/r/cpp,
the Incubator or anywhere else.”

I like the general tone of the latter better. It should also be made clear that a library should be ready for review when it goes on the schedule, even if more updates are planned. If a library needs a couple of more months to be ready for review than it should not go on the schedule for a couple of more months.

It is hard for me to compare the proposed page update to the current without seeing a diff, so I will look forward to seeing the pull request.

All-in-all these are good ideas. Resetting the schedule is a good one-time thing to do, and requiring an endorsement before being added to the review schedule is consistent with Boost practices.

Ron