Subject: Re: [boost] [simd] Hardware support
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-04-09 16:21:32

On 4/9/17 5:29 AM, Mathias Gaunard via Boost wrote:
> On 9 April 2017 at 09:30, Niall Douglas via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>>
>> If copyright weren't a problem, I'd suggest the Apache 2.0 licence which
>> gives stronger guarantees to the end user (a Boost library doesn't
>> actually have to have the Boost licence, it's just strongly
>> recommended). But you don't own the copyright to the entire library.
>>

> The library only has NumScale copyright notices, so they claim ownership of
> the library, and could re-license it.

I'm not a lawyer. The Boost license was vetted very carefully by
specialized legal counsel. No one has yet raised the possibility that a
license, once granted, could be revoked. So whatever NumScale were to do
in the future, would not affect Boost.
> AFAIK the Boost Software License requires keeping the copyright notices of
> any work it is derived from, so this is a violation of the BSL.

This is not clear to me from reading the actual license.

http://www.boost.org/users/license.htmlhttp://www.boost.org/users/license.html

> Boost.SIMD is derived from the NT2 library which was a BSL-licensed
> collaboration between various parties.

I have not idea what a "BSL-licensed collaboration" is

Robert Ramey