Subject: Re: [boost] [simd] Hardware support
From: Mathias Gaunard (mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-04-09 18:01:47

On 9 April 2017 at 17:21, Robert Ramey via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> On 4/9/17 5:29 AM, Mathias Gaunard via Boost wrote:
>
>> On 9 April 2017 at 09:30, Niall Douglas via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> If copyright weren't a problem, I'd suggest the Apache 2.0 licence which
>>> gives stronger guarantees to the end user (a Boost library doesn't
>>> actually have to have the Boost licence, it's just strongly
>>> recommended). But you don't own the copyright to the entire library.
>>>

>> The library only has NumScale copyright notices, so they claim ownership
>> of
>> the library, and could re-license it.
>>

> I'm not a lawyer. The Boost license was vetted very carefully by
> specialized legal counsel. No one has yet raised the possibility that a
> license, once granted, could be revoked. So whatever NumScale were to do in
> the future, would not affect Boost.

They cannot be revoked.
My understanding was that we were discussing the possibility that
Boost.SIMD could also be licensed under a license providing stronger
guarantees than the Boost Software License so as to better protect the end
user.

> AFAIK the Boost Software License requires keeping the copyright notices of
>> any work it is derived from, so this is a violation of the BSL.
>>

> This is not clear to me from reading the actual license.
>
> http://www.boost.org/users/license.htmlhttp://www.boost.org/
> users/license.html

That's pretty clear to me.
Attribution of ownership (aka copyright notices) must be preserved in
source form, but not compiled form.

The copyright notices in the Software and this entire statement, including
the above license grant, this restriction and the following disclaimer,
must be included in all copies of the Software, in whole or in part, and
all derivative works of the Software, unless such copies or derivative
works are solely in the form of machine-executable object code generated by
a source language processor.

> I have not idea what a "BSL-licensed collaboration" is

I'm not sure what's confusing here, but let me rephrase if that helps.
"A work developed by various parties working together and licensed under
the Boost Software License."

The NT2 library had copyright notices attributing ownership to LRI and
LASMEA -- two French public research laboraties -- in addition to NumScale;
those copyright notices should have been preserved. The latest version of
Boost.SIMD attributes ownership to NumScale exclusively.