Subject: Re: [boost] Boost licensing information
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-04-12 21:22:36

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 4:17 PM, Niall Douglas via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> >> I'm currently strongly considering placing Outcome and all my Boost
> >> like libraries under the EUPL licence. It far better matches the
> >> "Licence requirements" at
> >> http://www.boost.org/development/requirements.html than the Boost
> >> licence does.
> >
> > A license that is 7 A4 pages doesn't look like one that is "simple
> > to read and understand".
>
> A licence which understands that there is a legal world outside the
> United States of America and it is not the same needs to be longer.
>
> Many would find the Boost licence insufficiently specified to give
> clarity and lack of ambiguity.

The BSL was written with international consideration in mind. And most of
the long language you see in other licenses was deemed superfluous as it
was already covered by various international treaties and accords.
Obviously, IANAL, but that is my recollection from the various discussions
and legal team at the time of the BSL.

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything