Subject: Re: [boost] [review] Review of PolyCollection starts today (May 3rd)
From: Hans Dembinski (hans.dembinski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-05-11 07:46:52

Hi Joaquin,

> On 10 May 2017, at 19:21, Joaquin M López Muñoz via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> I have to think over the boost::function_collection given that it does't look as clear as
> I expected... As you correctly guess my aim was to have a single narrative, but seems
> like that's not working so well.

perhaps you can keep the narrative and just simplify the example a bit? I have nothing against the consistent narrative, it is a nice touch.

> Regarding the benefits of boost::function_collection<Signature> with respect to
> […]

Ok, I think I got it now, thanks :). As far as I am concerned, just adding this explanation to the tutorial would be enough.

>>> - Did you try to use the library? With what compiler? Did you have any problems?
>> I tried to compile the tests on a Mac with Apple-clang 8.0.0. It worked after I manually specified "cxxflags=-std=c++11" in the b2 call. By the way, it would be great if b2 used the highest standard that is available by default.
>
> It's weird because the Jamfile does have this flag already:
>
> https://github.com/joaquintides/poly_collection/blob/master/test/Jamfile.v2
>
> I guess the snapshot provided from the Incubator might be oldish and not
> include that... I can't check right now because blincubator.com is not responding :-(

It seems I got the right version, I checked out from github, not the incubator. My version of the Jamfile has these lines

project
    : requirements
      <toolset>gcc:<cxxflags>-std=c++11
      <toolset>clang:<cxxflags>-std=c++11
    ;

I am not a Boost.Build expert, but that looks ok to me. Nevertheless, when I run just ./b2 in the "tests" folder, it tries to compile but fails. When I run ./b2 cxxflags=-std=c++11, the tests compile fine.

Best regards,
Hans