Subject: Re: [boost] [review] Review of Outcome (starts Fri-19-May)
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-05-21 18:14:29

>> Standalone ASIO is much more popular than Boost.ASIO
>
> What do you base this statement on?

Back when I did the research for my C++ Now talk on the future of Boost,
I did a search of open source projects #including "asio/asio" as against
"boost/asio". The "asio/asio" ones outnumbered "boost/asio" by approx
50% if I remember rightly.

I am subscribed to asio questions on stackoverflow, and there is a
noticeable pattern that people with beginner level questions use
boost.asio, whereas the tricky questions they are using standalone asio.
That suggests the serious users of ASIO use the standalone edition.

Finally, a quick google search of "boost.asio vs standalone asio"
reveals most of the top results recommend using standalone asio if you
have C++ 11 or better. The most common reason given is "because it is
truly header only and it doesn't drag in Boost".

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting