Subject: Re: [boost] [review] Review of Outcome (starts Fri-19-May)
From: Jared Wyles (jared.wyles_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-05-22 23:56:59

Hello,

One of the questions that is inevitably asked when a proposal to switch to
using something like outcome is that of exceptions. Why outcome over
exceptions etc which you briefly touch on in your ACUU talk. With that in
mind, when attempting to sell this library having the motivating example on
the boost.outcome docs using exceptions really makes starting the discussion
harder. I understand one can never escape exceptions, but it shouldn't be
used as the first example a new user sees. I would like to see this example
updated to show how to handle errors with out the need for exception
handling around accessing *value*. Personally, I see something similar to
https://ned14.github.io/boost.outcome/md_doc_md_03-tutorial_b.html#expected_payload
as a much better example to help sell outcome and therefore better suited as
the motivating example for the front page of the docs.

Jared.