From: Stefan Seefeld (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-06-11 13:48:16

On 11.06.2017 04:33, Daniel James via Boost wrote:
> On 10 June 2017 at 21:28, Vladimir Prus via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> it seems that most of recent posts to the mailing lists have
>> rather strange "From" field, e.g.
>>
>> From: Daniel James via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
>>
>> I see this problem both via NTTP and regular mail, including emails
>> that appear to be posted directly with a mail client.
>>
>> That extra "via Boost" adds no value, and clutters mailbox. Is there
>> any change to return back to having "From" field have just the
>> name of the person?
> Problem is that would link my name with the mailing list address.
> Email programs often automatically fill their address books from
> emails.
The "From:" field could contain the full address of the original poster,
not just his name. That's how things were before the change, IIUC.
But, AFAIU, that had to change because some mail servers would refuse to
serve mail whose "From:" address differed from the "sender" field (which
is the list address in our case). Am I describing this correctly ? I
wonder how others handle this situation (in particular, how mailman and
similar tools deal with this themselves), given how frequent a use-case
this is...

        Stefan