From: Michael Caisse (mcaisse-lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-06-12 20:32:31

On 6/11/17 06:48, Stefan Seefeld via Boost wrote:

> The "From:" field could contain the full address of the original poster,
> not just his name. That's how things were before the change, IIUC.
> But, AFAIU, that had to change because some mail servers would refuse to
> serve mail whose "From:" address differed from the "sender" field (which
> is the list address in our case). Am I describing this correctly ? I
> wonder how others handle this situation (in particular, how mailman and
> similar tools deal with this themselves), given how frequent a use-case
> this is...
>
> Stefan

With the old system, many people were having issues with DMARC filtering
emails as-if they were spoof'd. In the recent couple years many
corporate accounts have moved to utilize DMARC as part of their inbound
authentication and the popularity continues to increase.

Unfortunately, Mail Lists normally break because the original sender's
domain DKIM signature doesn't match the Mail List. The most popular work
around is rewriting the From header field. We are doing that in the most
basic manner.

We can consider some other possible changes; however, it is impolite to
modify the From field with an address that would indicate an individual
but represents the entire list.

--
Michael Caisse
Ciere Consulting