Subject: Re: [boost] Proposal for moving Boost to CMake
From: David Sankel (camior_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-06-17 04:34:33

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 9:45 PM, Robert Ramey via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 6/16/17 4:44 PM, David Sankel via Boost wrote:
>
> I was going to make an more elaborate counter proposal here but got
> carried away on another thread an included it there.
>
> Why don't you cut down your proposal to something simpler and actually
> doable.

I don't think what I'm suggesting is overly bold. We can do this thing.
[Reforming large code bases is my day job]

> What would you think of the following:
>
> Proposal:
>
> a) Permit Boost Library authors to sprinkle CMakeList.txt files whereever
> they want in the directories of their own libraries.

To be clear, this is already allowed.

> b) Create a directory in boost-root/tools/.... where CMake enthusiasts can
> put their macros and any other needed stuff of their choosing.
>
> This would yield the following benefits.
>
> a) This should be enough for any library author to implement CMake support
> for his library.
>
> b) it's non-intrusive. It would not conflict with anything currently in
> boost.
>
> c) it would permit "Boost/CMake" to evolve at it's own pace without
> causing havoc among any innocent victims.
>
> d) This would be very simple to do - I don't know that it even requires
> any decision by anyone at all. I've included CMakeList.txt files in the
> serialization library for years and no one has objected. I think you
> should just encourage library authors to do this. You might offer to help
> them if you want by providing useful macros, a working FindBoost,
> documentation with suggestions and instructions. I made the Boost Library
> Incubator with large sections of advice for aspiring boost library
> authors. I didn't recommend Bjam support as it's not needed for review
> (and I actually don't like bjam). I recommended CMake and spend a good
> amount of text explaining it in the context of making a boost like
> library. I learned that a) CMake isn't nearly as good as people think it
> is and b) It can be made to work. If you want to improve and maintain that
> section, I would be very, very pleased to hand it over to you.
>
> Just to summarize:
>
> a) Encourge library authors to include CMakeLists.txt file in their
> directories. If some committee wants to complain about it, we'll deal with
> it then.
>
> b) Create helpful information for library authors that want to do this.
> I've got a good place for you to do it.
>
> Sit back and watch your idea catch fire

 :) I don't dislike this idea, but I think moving all of Boost to CMake is
a big step that we *can* and *should* do. The first milestone is the most
important one in my proposal.