Subject: Re: [boost] Proposal for moving Boost to CMake
From: Stefan Seefeld (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-06-17 10:44:03

On 17.06.2017 00:34, David Sankel via Boost wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 9:45 PM, Robert Ramey via Boost <
> boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> Just to summarize:
>>
>> a) Encourge library authors to include CMakeLists.txt file in their
>> directories. If some committee wants to complain about it, we'll deal with
>> it then.
>>
>> b) Create helpful information for library authors that want to do this.
>> I've got a good place for you to do it.
>>
>> Sit back and watch your idea catch fire
>
> :) I don't dislike this idea, but I think moving all of Boost to CMake is
> a big step that we *can* and *should* do.
I disagree. While I applaud your intentions, I think you would do a huge
disservice to project maintainers: As Boost.Python maintainer I'm
already receiving lots of bug reports about issues with the build
system, most of which I have no clue how to resolve, given Boost.Build's
often cited complexities. If you add support for a second build system
that I don't know anything about, how likely do you think I am to be
able to help my user base ?

What we need is for project maintainers to be able to pick tools *they*
understand so they can operate more autonomously. (And for avoidance of
doubt: If their user base asks for a specific tool, it's of course fine
for them to decide to support that. But it shouldn't be for any central
Boost authority to decide top-down what is best for all projects !)

Thanks,
        Stefan