Subject: Re: [boost] Proposal for moving Boost to CMake
From: P F (pfultz2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-06-18 20:52:46

> On Jun 18, 2017, at 10:13 AM, Peter Dimov via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> "P F" wrote:
>
>> git clone https://github.com/boostorg/hana
>> cd hana
>> b2 install
>
> Does anybody actually do this? It feels completely alien to me.

I am not sure why it would feel alien, the getting started guide has those same steps:

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_64_0/more/getting_started/unix-variants.html#easy-build-and-install

> Where would the headers go?

I don’t know what Boost.Build defaults to, but you can control where boost gets installed with the `--prefix` flag.

> What will happen to the already existing system Boost installation?

I believe the install rule copies the files, so they would just be replaced.

> What if I want to uninstall?

You would delete the directory, unless boost build supports a `b2 uninstall` that is created from the install rule.