Subject: Re: [boost] [cmake] Minimum viable cmakeification for Boost
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-06-22 16:04:38

On 6/22/2017 7:06 AM, Paul A. Bristow via Boost wrote:

> [...]

No definition in my "Webster's Third New International Dictionary", I
don't have the OED, don't recall the word in literature, find only
'Oligoneuron' on the web about a genus of flowering plants, so a
definition would be appreciated as my own neurons are not firing enough
connections to understand it. Perhaps it means an oligarchy of neurons,
whatever that is supposed to be.

> (just like most users), but the real cause was nearly all a massive communication
> failure. The documentation just does not work.

I tend to agree but on the basis that the Boost Build doc probably has
most everything but not organized in ways that the C++ programmer can
easily understand.

> (And, if I am honest, I just wanted not to need to know so much, especially when it didn't Just Work, as promised. The torrent of
> plaintive emails on Stackoverflow and Boost say that I am not alone. I'd like to live in the blissful ignorance that Daniela's team
> enjoy.)
>
> If a cmake that called b2 to install would make cmake_2.5_rs happy, I think this might be a good first step, but only a feeble
> band-aid.
>
> I fear we are about to get into a similar mess with ill-documented cmake 3.5, especially with an army of 2.5 mindset users.
> Personally, I don't wish to know about cmake - my brain is full ;-)

rotfl

> I'm encouraged by Niall producing a working cmake 3.5 example - it even includes some comments explaining what is happening !
>
> But it's doing the whole of Boost that is the elephant. For example, there are 591 files in boost/math/test and hundreds of tests
> in each file. The jamfile is not just a simple list of targets to build and run, there are many options and variants, depending on
> many Boost and several external libraries. So there is a BIG mountain ahead...

+1

What I am really afraid of is not that Boost end-users do not like
CMake, because obviously most programmers appear to love it, but that
Boost will just be substituting one build system under its own control,
which few really understand, for another build system controlled
elsewhere, which more evidently understand but whose usage even more
people disagree about.

However if we can provide CMake for end-users from our bjam files,
without tortuous work, I am all for it as long as I personally don't
have to understand it. I find reading the CMake docs, such as they are,
much more incomprehensible than the Boost Build docs.