Subject: Re: [boost] Noexcept
From: Gavin Lambert (gavinl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-06-29 07:29:49

On 29/06/2017 18:34, Andrzej Krzemienski wrote:
> Here, by "exception neutrality" I mean what function std::qsort is doing.
> It does not mention `try` or `catch` by any means, it can be compiled with
> C compiler, and yet it can propagate exceptions thrown by the callback.

That doesn't really follow. If code is C-compilable then it cannot have
destructors and thus can only be exception safe if it does not perform
any memory allocation or any other resource acquisition (eg. opening files).

If you imagine any other pure C algorithm that calls a callback, unless
it explicitly states that it's C++-exception-safe you shouldn't assume
that you can safely throw an exception from that callback. (In fact
it's generally a bad idea to assume that of a C++ algorithm too, unless
explicitly stated.)

If you happen to know that a given implementation has no side effects
outside of the stack (and no destructors needed), then you could use
setjmp/longjmp instead of exceptions, which at least conforms to a C
contract. But that is not really any different from using exceptions in
the first place. (Perhaps somewhat faster and less safe, since it skips
the stack unwinding entirely.)

(In the case of std::qsort specifically, it explicitly provides one
overload taking a C++ linkage callback and one taking a C-linkage
callback. Either one might be exception-safe, with the C++ callback
perhaps slightly more likely, but in the absence of explicit guarantees
you should probably be hesitant about it in both cases.)

If you're referring only to exception propagation rather than safety
(which kind of defeats the point of using exceptions in the first
place), then no return-based solution could ever meet that; only
exceptions themselves or a setjmp/longjmp alternative (which is
obviously less safe, especially in C++ code), or some other compiler
extension that would end up much like exceptions anyway.