Subject: Re: [boost] [review][beast] Review of Beast starts today : July 1 - July 10
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-03 00:55:54

> I'm not an expert so I can't comment on the Beast (other than to say that
> IMO it is a poor choice of name), but it would be helpful (including to
> people like me) to add structure to your criticisms; e.g. this is what the
> library does now, but this is a bad idea for this and that reason, and it
> would be better to do it this way, rather than "dude, this is so 10 years
> out of date!" :)

I did add considerable structure to what I think he should do instead.
To sum it up:

1. Consume blobs of structured data. Produce blobs of structured data.

2. Facilitate i/o rather than implement i/o.

3. Be inspired by the Ranges TS rich suite of concepts, but failing that
iterator pairs will do.

... and I went into a fair bit of implementation detail of how you'd
arrange things differently, so I mentioned by name what customisation
points in ASIO you'd use to tell ASIO about your types representing a
block of structured data and so on.

What I didn't do was write essays of detail. It would take too long,
it's not my place, and I'm pretty sure Vinnie knows ASIO internals as
well as I do, so I am assuming he understands everything I'm writing.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting