Subject: Re: [boost] [beast] Chunking example
From: Bjorn Reese (breese_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-04 17:49:27

On 07/02/2017 08:04 PM, Vinnie Falco via Boost wrote:

> Perhaps I have overlooked something. What is the use-case for
> application level control over chunking?

The publish-subscribe pattern. Consider a device (e.g. a sensor), that
publishes events (e.g. measurements) that are distributed unevenly
and unpredictably over time. Each chunk contains a single event, so
preserving the chunk boundary is important.

> The application sees the message body only after the chunked
> Transfer-Encoding has been removed.

Can you elaborate with an example?

> Beast's implementation does not currently reframe serialized chunks,
> but there is no specification for how Beast will perform the chunked
> encoding. This could be changed in the future, if there was a
> compelling use-case.

Beast should not break the end-to-end principle unless explicitly
allowed by the application.