Subject: Re: [boost] [review][beast] Review of Beast starts today : July 1 - July 10
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-05 16:26:51

On 7/5/17 8:24 AM, Edward Diener via Boost wrote:
> On 7/5/2017 12:25 AM, Vinnie Falco via Boost wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 4, 2017 at 9:21 PM, Glen Fernandes via Boost
>> <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>> $ cd libs/smart_ptr/test
>>
>> Beast is not designed to build in-tree since it is not yet part of Boost
>
> Still the ideal of reviewing a library usually means that the library
> can be cloned beneath the Boost libs sub-directory and just "work",
> whether the library is part of Boost or not.

Hmmm - I'm not sure where that idea comes from. It's certainly not in
the official requirements for a boost review.

And there is a bigger problem here. When one puts his library "out
there" the hope is that people will use it and he will get feed back
from users, bug fixes etc. But to make the library easy to use within
boost is to make it hard to use outside of boost. A library should "just
work" whether or not the user has boost installed or not. or whether he
is running as a subdirectory of boost or not. Or whether he uses b2 or not.

This is a continuing problem in making boost easier to use for users and
easier to start using. We need to make changes to address this.

Robert Ramey