Subject: Re: [boost] [review][beast] Review of Beast starts today : July 1 - July 10
From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-05 16:32:33

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 9:26 AM, Robert Ramey via Boost
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> When one puts his library "out there"
> the hope is that people will use it and he will get feed back from users,
> bug fixes etc. But to make the library easy to use within boost is to make
> it hard to use outside of boost. A library should "just work" whether or not
> the user has boost installed or not. or whether he is running as a
> subdirectory of boost or not. Or whether he uses b2 or not.

Yes that was my thinking as well when I set it up. However, Peter's
suggestion to add:

    project boost/libs
      : requirements <implicit-dependency>/boost//headers

Seems to work. Or rather, it didn't break anything. So the problem you
allude to might be easily fixed by just having a better "best
practices" document. Maybe there could be a "blank" repository under
boostorg/ that implements a "Hello world!" function in a header file
and is organized exactly like a boost library with tests, b2/cmake,
Travis, Appveyor, CircleCI integration, documentation, and works in or
out of tree.

Someone could just clone this blank project and then they are good to go.

Thanks