Subject: Re: [boost] Encoding address-model in library names
From: Klaim - Joël Lamotte (mjklaim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-06 08:17:06

Sent from mobile.

On Jul 6, 2017 7:53 AM, "degski via Boost" <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

On 6 July 2017 at 08:17, Vinnie Falco via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> That works, sort of, but is not great if you are working on different
> Boost libraries and you want to switch to a different BOOST_ROOT. And
> its painful if you are using CMake because then you aren't respecting
> the results of FindBoost. It can also break in subtle ways, you change
> the props to an older Boost to diagnose a regression, then you open a
> new solution and forget to switch and you waste time.

You're having the perspective of a boost-dev. Almost all users are
non-devs. You could copy the correct props-file in place with a pre-build
command, I guess. CMake is not the generally supported boost build tool,
yet or maybe never.

I have the same issues, I'm not a boost library developer.

> I've limped along with the system of modifying the User Property
> Sheets (.props) for a few years, but putting 32/64 bit libs in the
> same dir with different names is a far better solution.

And you suggest I then change the names of all my libs? Personally I'm
indifferent to the proposed change, I'll still put them in seperate folders.

degski

--
"*Ihre sogenannte Religion wirkt bloß wie ein Opiat reizend, betäubend,
Schmerzen aus Schwäche stillend.*" - Novalis 1798