Subject: Re: [boost] CMake Announcement from Boost Steering Committee
From: Thorsten Ottosen (thorsten.ottosen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-19 16:11:09

Den 19-07-2017 kl. 14:05 skrev David Sankel via Boost:
> On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 5:00 PM, Vladimir Prus via Boost <
> boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> On 18/07/2017 16:12, Jon Kalb via Boost wrote:
>>
>>> Therefore, we, the Steering Committee, announce to the Boost community our
>>>
>>> desire and intent to move Boost’s build system to CMake for users and
>>> developers alike.
>>

>> Since its founding, Boost was run by open discussions on a mailing list.
>>

> Boost needs a steering committee to break stalemates and that is why it was
> created and exists today. The CMake issue has been around for years and
> hasn't been able to progress primarily because "obviously biased" vocal
> minorities were holding it back with threats. Rarely has there been an
> anti-CMake argument that suggested CMake would hurt Boost's mission. Enough
> is enough. "Finally" is the word I keep seeing over and over on the reddit
> discussion.

Well, there are consumers and developers. I don't doubt that many
consumers would appreciate support for CMake.

But that should rule out the possibility that boost internally just uses
something else, should it?

> The steering committee was created to protect the mission of Boost. It is
> comprised of Boost developers, users, and leaders in the C++ community.
> Everyone on that committee is looking out for the best interests of Boost
> and is well qualified to do so. The decision to move to CMake was made
> unanimously.

[snip]

> The steering committee is set up like many others in the Open Source world.
> People are chosen for various reasons but primary among them is their
> commitment to Boost's mission and doing what is right for Boost. This is
> how the founders set it up and how Boost ever switched to git.

[snip]

> I'm sorry you and a couple others aren't happy with the decision made, but
> any decision in a deadlock situation is bound to disappoint someone.

“I trust that every animal here appreciates the sacrifice that Comrade
Napoleon has made in taking this extra labour upon himself. Do not
imagine, comrades, that leadership is a pleasure! On the contrary, it is
a deep and heavy responsibility. No one believes more firmly than
Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy
to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might
make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

kind regards

Thorsten