Subject: Re: [boost] Moving CMake forward
From: John Maddock (jz.maddock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-22 10:51:20

> I am in. I have several things in mind, such as
>
> * to work on an component that describes the dependencies between
> libraries in order to add then in a topological sort order from the
> main project
> * port the documentation generation, focus quickbook+doxygen at first
> * think/design/adapt/deploy regression runners and a possibly new
> regression dashboard

All nice to have, but too advanced for me right now given that we have a
working system for those already... the priority is to improve the end
users experience, and keep the initial step focused enough that we can
review it and polish it up for release without getting bogged down
and/or acrimonious about it.

> How do you want to interact?

To repeat, I have zero knowledge of CMake and am rather happy with what
we have. However, as a born-again-empiricist-scientist type I am open
to being proved wrong. So I'm more than happy to test whatever folks
come up with, but maybe before even that point, I'd like to be able to
read the equivalent of Boost's current getting started docs written for
a CMake port of the build/install process. After that, some getting
started docs for library authors too. I guess that's what I'm missing
from the current discussion - it's either too technical for me to follow
because I'm not familiar with CMake's internals, or else too
advocacy-based and substance free. I'm looking for something that can be
fed to a willing guinea pig so we can see if he prospers or not ;)

John.