Subject: Re: [boost] CMake Announcement from Boost Steering Committee
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-22 19:00:14

Roger Leigh wrote:

> > Similarly, the pkg-config one. I'm genuinely interested in how
> > pkg-config support, if we have it, is supposed to handle multiple build
> > variants having been installed.
> >
> > I've already solved that for the cmake -config files, but I'm not sure I
> > see a way for pkg-config to support it.
>
> It's been a while since I looked at this, but my understanding is that it
> can't by design. You have one variant installed, with a matching set of
> pkg-config files which point to those libraries.

I implemented something along those lines. git clone the "feature/pkgconfig"
branch of boostorg/boost, and then at the root (after having built b2) issue

    b2 tools/pkgconfig//stage

This will stage the .pc files into stage/lib/pkgconfig.

    b2 tools/pkgconfig//install

should also work and put them into $(prefix)/lib/pkgconfig.

This is not a 100% working solution because of some irregular cases such as
math, exception, test, stacktrace, and it doesn't contain the external
dependencies such as -lrt ot -lbzip2 as I can't retrieve them automatically.
But it could be useful nevertheless.

Note that I'm generating .pc files for the header-only libraries as well,
otherwise there's no way to track static -> header-only -> static
dependencies properly.