Subject: Re: [boost] CMake Announcement from Boost Steering Committee
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-23 00:14:34

Andrey Semashev wrote:

> It did succeed for me, but it took about 4.5GB and about 10 seconds to
> complete. :)

Works then. :-) pkg-config seems polynomial of second (if not third) degree.

> BTW, there are two libraries in Boost.Log: libboost_log.so and
> libboost_log_setup.so (the latter is not mentioned in .pc).

Yeah, I know about log_setup. It's one of the irregular cases. The problem
is that, even if I special-case the additional library name, when someone
includes a Log header, I can't tell to which of these two this should create
a dependency.

In a regular world, libs/foo should always build libboost_foo and nothing
else and we would be done.

On a related note, an interesting property of these .pc files is that, as
currently generated, they are independent of the actual library build
(depending on which would mean that the generation could only be done at `b2
install` time, that is, on the user machine.) As it stands though, these we
can generate beforehand and include in the release (in f.ex.
$BOOST_ROOT/pkgconfig) - but this necessarily implies that I can't include
build time information such as actual file names.