Subject: Re: [boost] CMake Announcement from Boost Steering Committee
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-23 00:46:19

> On a related note, an interesting property of these .pc files is that,
> as currently generated, they are independent of the actual library build
> (depending on which would mean that the generation could only be done at
> `b2 install` time, that is, on the user machine.) As it stands though,
> these we can generate beforehand and include in the release (in f.ex.
> $BOOST_ROOT/pkgconfig) - but this necessarily implies that I can't
> include build time information such as actual file names.

But the -l switches should include name tags like -mt or -gd, if
present, which are specific to the build config. (I didn't test that
with the current implementation as no tags are produced by default on my
Linux machine.)

PS: As a totally wild idea, would it be possible to generate .pc files
as an artefact of dynamically generated Boost.Build targets, each
depending on a lib target in the library submodules? That would provide
not only the target dependencies but also usage requirements.