Subject: [boost] PGI C++ compiler support
From: David Olsen (dolsen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-26 20:57:32

Many years ago, Boost was configured to work well with the PGI C++
compiler (http://www.pgroup.com/). But maintenance of the PGI support
within Boost stopped about five years ago, and PGI will no longer build
Boost without modifications to the Boost sources.

I am working on restoring support for the PGI C++ compiler. Many PGI
customers want to use Boost, so we at PGI are putting in the effort to
make that easy to do. I have already fixed a bunch of bugs in the PGI
compiler that were triggered by Boost code. Now it is time to make
necessary adjustments to the Boost source.

I have created six pull requests that make it possible to build Boost
with PGI.
https://github.com/boostorg/build/pull/218
https://github.com/boostorg/filesystem/pull/49
https://github.com/boostorg/mpl/pull/30
https://github.com/boostorg/spirit/pull/236
https://github.com/boostorg/type_traits/pull/45
https://github.com/boostorg/config/pull/169

The only big change is overhauling the pgi.jam file. The other changes
are just removing an obsolete #if or changing an #if expression. None
of the changes should affect any compiler other than PGI.

Next I am planning to make any necessary changes to test code and to
header-only libraries so that PGI gets decent results when running the
Boost tests. Then I will look into setting up a test bot for the PGI
compiler here at PGI.

--
David Olsen (dolsen_at_[hidden])
NVIDIA - PGI