Subject: Re: [boost] Where we are 1.65.0
From: rleigh_at_[hidden]
Date: 2017-08-10 08:50:24

On 2017-08-10 08:36, Andrey Semashev via Boost wrote:
> On 08/10/17 09:53, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 12:41 AM, Andrey Semashev via Boost
>> <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>> Having C++17-capable clang and MSVC around the corner doesn't
>>> necessarily mean that people will go right ahead and use it. There'll
>>
>> That's false. People (some) *will* use them. Not supporting them
>> basically means you're blocking those people from upgrading.
>> Note that existing compilers already have C++17 stuff and people *are*
>> using it.
>
> Of course, there are enthusiasts but most people will start using
> C++17 much later, e.g. when they upgrade the production system and it
> ships the new compiler.

This is of course what most people will do. But as a library author I
need to support new standards in advance of my users starting to use
them, so they aren't blocked by my tardiness. Since I depend
significantly upon Boost, if Boost doesn't support new standards in a
timely manner, this blocks me, which then blocks my users. I'm working
on enabling building everything with C++17 *today*, with the expectation
of having it fully working and a supported option within the next month
or so.

I certainly don't expect Boost to make much use of C++17 features, but I
consider being able to *compile and link* with "-std=c++17" and its cl
equivalent a fairly essential bar to meet for future Boost releases, and
IMO would be worth holding up the release for. Otherwise we'll be
blocked on this for many months.

Regards,
Roger