Subject: Re: [boost] Where we are 1.65.0
From: degski (degski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-08-10 08:58:06

On 10 August 2017 at 10:36, Andrey Semashev via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]
> wrote:

> Of course, there are enthusiasts but most people will start using C++17
> much later, e.g. when they upgrade the production system and it ships the
> new compiler.

In this particular transition, I'm not so sure, C++17 is really the
completion of C++11 and C++14, so those who did go to C++11, might want to
upgrade sooner than you think. Also, MSVC (current and eminent release) is
now in much better shape than it ever was. So those people are certainly
motivated. Additionally, contrary to the past, the upgrade (full monty) is
free (Community Edition) for many. Equally so, on Windows, Clang/LLVM is
now up to scratch, certainly with the release of 5.0, planned for 23rd of
August.

Anecdotically, at CERN-Institute (some of the most advanced scientists)
they won't upgrade from what I understood, as they choose to stay on C++03.

degski

--
"*Ihre sogenannte Religion wirkt bloß wie ein Opiat reizend, betäubend,
Schmerzen aus Schwäche stillend.*" - Novalis 1798