Subject: Re: [boost] VS2017 version 15.3
From: degski (degski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-08-17 04:21:56

On 16 August 2017 at 19:52, John Maddock via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> On 16/08/2017 17:29, Róbert Špir via Boost wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> after upgrading my installation of vs2017 to version 15.3 (released two
>> days
>> ago) I'm receiving a lot of "Unknown compiler version - please run the
>> configure tests and report the results" messages during building the
>> project
>> which uses boost (but everything builds and works fine).
>>
>> The cl.exe version in vs2017 15.3 was changed to 19.11.25506
>>

> We know :(
>
> There's a patch just gone into develop, actually if we're really going to
> do another RC, then that might be a good candidate to include in it if the
> release managers agree (purely on the grounds that it will reduce the
> amount of traffic all reporting the same thing!). The actual patch is
> trivial BTW: https://github.com/boostorg/config/commit/a0147b73e8bde8f4b2
> c19c96166353dba8fa9914.

I think the message "Unknown compiler version - please run the configure
tests and report the results" should include some word(s) to indicate that
Boost is producing this message, something like: "Boost.Config (Release
1.65): Unknown compiler version - please run the configure tests and report
the results".

It's just very (too) confusing, that when you just upgraded your compiler,
a message with no origin pops up, while at the same time (in my case) your
code still compiles (so where to look?). One wonders whether the upgrade
went ok and wastes valuable time.

degski

--
"*Ihre sogenannte Religion wirkt bloß wie ein Opiat reizend, betäubend,
Schmerzen aus Schwäche stillend.*" - Novalis 1798