Subject: Re: [boost] Boost 1.65.0 Release Candidate 4
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-08-18 15:22:32

On 18 August 2017 at 16:10, degski via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 18 August 2017 at 17:53, Daniel James via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>
>> We used to delay releases until every little thing was sorted out. And
>> that lead to releases being heavily delayed, which is good for no one,
>> users or developers.
>

> Me thinks that for users, the only thing that counts is that a new release
> is rock-solid (i.e. at least as good as the previous one). We see plenty of
> people on the list that are still on, just for arguments' sake 1.47, there
> must be a reason for that. They (must) feel un-comfortable with newer
> releases and the older stuff (the releases that got delayed maybe?) just
> works for them (the bit they are using in any case).

That's a big assumption, there are a lot of reasons to stick with
older versions. And if you are using old releases, you'd be getting
the exact warning that you're complaining about, and probably for
earlier compilers as well. Regardless, we're not going to change our
release procedure at the very last minute.