Subject: Re: [boost] Review Request: impl_ptr (pimpl)
From: Vladimir Batov (Vladimir.Batov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-08-21 09:08:36

Gavin, Thank you for the input.

On 2017-08-21 18:08, Gavin Lambert via Boost wrote:
> On 15/08/2017 12:51, Vladimir Batov wrote:
> On a quick pass through the docs,
> http://yet-another-user.github.io/pimpl/doc/html/impl_ptr/behind_the_interface.html
> suggests that Book::operator== be implemented using (*this)->title
> etc.
> I would recommend not overloading operator-> and operator* for impl
> access and instead requiring that this be more explicit, such as
> impl().title (or as the page also suggests impl.title, but after a
> glance at the implementation I didn't see how that would work).

Yes, I hear you. I've been using the syntax for quite some time and I am
used to it. Certainly, there is nothing wrong in additionally providing
impl() or something of that sort.

> From
> http://yet-another-user.github.io/pimpl/doc/html/impl_ptr/construction_and_impl_ptr_null.html,
> perhaps consider implicit construction from nullptr_t as another
> method to create an empty instance; that might be more natural for
> people.

Good point. I'll add it.

> Also, the generated reference docs seem a bit useless --
> http://yet-another-user.github.io/pimpl/doc/html/reference.html shows
> only two types, including _internal_impl_ptr, which is not itself
> documented and just 404s.

Indeed. Just added it today and still fighting Doxygen... it refuses to
document the "detail" namespace... no matter what I try.