Subject: Re: [boost] [Intrusive]
From: Soul Studios (matt_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-08-27 22:15:37

> The previous implementation was, what is best described as a flat-graph,
> linked lists over vector(s), using indexes for linking up the various
> components.

Okay, that's not actually the same as what we're talking about here-
I'm talking about comparing a vector of pointers/indexes where you
directly iterate over the pointers, vs an intrusive list.
You're talking about, as far as I can tell, using a vector of nodes with
pointers to the elements to iterate. That's always going to be slower
compared to an intrusive list because you're wastin space and creating
an additional indirection.

By contrast a vector of pointers/indexes will be faster to iterate due
to the CPU being able to cache the jump locations/offsets, whereas it
can't with a linked list of any type. That's what my graphs show.