Subject: [boost] Crypto/hashes library?
From: James E. King, III (jking_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-09-07 03:05:37

Hello,

The boost uuid module contains an implementation of the sha1 hash algorithm
for purposes of generating a uuid from arbitrary input. I've opened an
issue on github to make the hash algorithm configurable:

https://github.com/boostorg/uuid/issues/26

I was hoping to find a concept and implementation of a few hashes somewhere
in boost that could be used instead, however I haven't found any. Back in
2010 someone posted a link to a "boost::hashes" repository but I was unable
to see what the outcome of the discussion was other than that it was not
included. A collection of hashing algorithms that are well tested would be
quite useful in a number of ways; and I like the hash size template style
used in the repo from 2010:

https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/hash/

Indeed there's mention of a discussion about the proper placement of sha1
inside boost::uuid in there:

https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/hash/libs/hash/doc/html/rationale.html

So I was curious where that effort ended up, and if there was a resolution
on whether an independent library for hashing was ultimately something that
folks wanted to pursue or avoid.

Thanks,

Jim