Subject: Re: [boost] [Pool] no maintainer, and should perhaps be deprecated?
From: Gavin Lambert (gavinl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-09-27 22:36:23

On 28/09/2017 06:07, John Maddock wrote:
> There is possibly another issue: the performance of most std lib
> allocators has improved to the point that it's actually questionable
> whether using the pool lib has much real benefit (but this need
> quantifying so the cases where it does help are documented).  Maybe
> that's what has put people off, or maybe it's just not sexy enough for
> anyone to take on, but I still hope that someone will....

FWIW, I tried to use Pool (specifically pool_allocator) in an
application once, but ran into too many problems (and locks! Locks are
the bane of my existence).

I used nedmalloc quite successfully for a long time, but eventually the
std allocators caught up and it was simpler and sufficiently performant
to use those instead.

(Of course as always YMMV depending on your allocation patterns.)