Subject: Re: [boost] [ANN] Boost.UI - a new C++ GUI library
From: Stefan Seefeld (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-09-28 12:02:57

Hi,

On 28.09.2017 07:11, Kolya Kosenko via Boost wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Here is my C++ GUI library based on Boost, it
> - is cross-platform
> - uses native system-provided widgets

what widgets do you consider "system-provided" ? What backends do you
bind to on the different platforms, and can those bindings be changed ?

> - has STL-like and Boost-like API
> - compatible with other Boost libraries

What does that mean ?

> - supports modern C++11/14/17 features
>
> Currently supported modules:
> - Graphics
> - Widgets
> * Command widgets
> * Data input-output widgets
> + Date and time pickers
> + Strings container widgets
> + Text widgets
> * Informational widgets
> + Logging
> * Containers
> + Alerts
> + Notifications
> + Prompts
> - Layouts
> - Events
> - Audio
> - Coordinates
> - Localization
> - Thread support
> - Helpers
>
> Documentation (and "Hello, World!" application source code):
> https://kosenko.github.io/boost.ui/

I'd be interested in some high-level documentation explaining the basic
programming and execution model of the API. For example, how are events
handled and how are they bound to particular actions ? Are programs
inherently multi-threaded or single-threaded (e.g., does the main event
loop run in its own thread) ?
Is your library mostly just a (thin) layer over existing
platform-specific GUI libraries, or does it reimplement a lot of the
logic itself ?

(And what is that cryptic "ui_main()" function ? :-) )

> Source code:
> https://github.com/kosenko/ui
>
> Beman's challenge:
> https://github.com/kosenko/ui/blob/master/example/cpp11/beman.cpp
>
> Re-implemented GUI examples from Bjarne Stroustrup's book:
> https://github.com/kosenko/ui/blob/master/example/cpp11/stroustrup.cpp
>
> Other examples:
> https://github.com/kosenko/ui/tree/master/example
>
> What do you think?