Subject: Re: [boost] [ANN] Boost.UI - a new C++ GUI library
From: Hans Dembinski (hans.dembinski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-09-28 12:22:43

Hi Kolya,

> Here is my C++ GUI library based on Boost, it
> - is cross-platform
> - uses native system-provided widgets
> - has STL-like and Boost-like API
> - compatible with other Boost libraries
> - supports modern C++11/14/17 features
> […]

I looked at the code examples, which look neat. I also like the goal to have a cross-platform C++ lib for GUIs, but isn't an UI library too elaborate/invested for Boost? I am quite familiar with Qt and its a huge library, and yet it is moving fast to keep up with new trends. You would need a lot of active and dedicated developers to keep up and provide similar amounts of features.

Some people here probably shiver at the thought how Qt distorted C++ get things done, introducing its own preprocessor and missing language features in a non-standard way. I am not a fan either. And still, Qt is easy to work with and the documentation is outstanding. With KDE it has a large user base, too. It is hard to beat such competition.

Just my 2 cents.

Hans