Subject: Re: [boost] [ANN] Boost.UI - a new C++ GUI library
From: Kolya Kosenko (kolya.kosenko_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-09-28 14:25:07

On 09/28/2017 03:22 PM, Hans Dembinski via Boost wrote:
> I looked at the code examples, which look neat. I also like the goal to have a cross-platform C++ lib for GUIs, but isn't an UI library too elaborate/invested for Boost? I am quite familiar with Qt and its a huge library, and yet it is moving fast to keep up with new trends. You would need a lot of active and dedicated developers to keep up and provide similar amounts of features.

It isn't so hard as you think. Qt rewrites C++11/Boost features into own
library, so we can rewrite GUI features into Boost :)

> Some people here probably shiver at the thought how Qt distorted C++ get things done, introducing its own preprocessor and missing language features in a non-standard way. I am not a fan either. And still, Qt is easy to work with and the documentation is outstanding. With KDE it has a large user base, too. It is hard to beat such competition.

Qt has old style C++ API, moc and QML aren't C++ at all. Boost.UI for
developers that prefer modern C++11/17-like API with Boost libraries
support. Boost don't need to beat Qt, it is placed in an other niche.

Regards,
Kolya.