Subject: [boost] Informal CMake meeting at CPPCon
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-10-02 16:04:04

Thursday 28 Sept 8 AM at CPPCon a small group of us met to talk a little
regarding the situation regarding support of CMake by Boost. I promoted
this meeting as I've been concerned that the only discernible results of
the recent Boost Steering Committee announcement on the subject was a
certain level of antagonism among boost members regarding the subject.

Participants
============
Robert Ramey (me)
Rene Rivera
Vinnie Falco
Louis Dionne
David Sankel
Matt Calabrese

This was a small but I think a representative group. After some
preliminary back and forth, I think we agreed:

a) Nothing was going change regarding the current build system until
there was a real alternative in place.

b) That we should support serious proposals to implement CMake support
within boost.

c) And that any such proposals should go through the Boost formal review
process. Traditionally, the boost formal review process has never
applied to boost tools so this would be a departure from traditional
practice.

d) Questions regarding the scope/implemention of such support for CMake
can be handled within the formal review process.

e) Other questions regarding support CMake and Boost, transition to new
system, related requirements on boost libraries, etc. can be better
addressed once we have some sort of consensus on the form that CMake
support will take.

I had contacted Paul Fultz who is the only one I know of that has
proposed something specific to submit to formal review. He told me he
couldn't do it at the time, but shortly there after posted such a
request on the list. So I guess for now we're on our way.

My motivation for posting this is to keep the boost community up to date
on what's happening so that no one gets overly surprised when things
start to happen. I'm not really soliciting feedback - though it
wouldn't surprise me if I get some.

Robert Ramey