Subject: Re: [boost] Boost CMake update
From: Stefan Seefeld (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-10-04 16:14:57

On 04.10.2017 12:01, Peter Dimov via Boost wrote:
> paul wrote:
>
>> Of course, adding the version doesn't prevent the scenario you
>> mention. They could just reinstall a whole new version of boost 1.65
>> and the libraries that were built against boost 1.64 would be broken.
>
> I'm talking about Boost libraries here, not theirs. Boost library X
> 1.64.0 is built against Boost library Y 1.64.0. You update Y to
> 1.65.0, X is now broken.

While this may be true for some (or even many) "core" Boost libraries, I
believe there are enough peripheral libraries that could safely be built
against multiple Boost "core" versions.
And while you may not yet want to consider separating the release cycles
of individual Boost libraries, I think it's a big error to design such a
restriction right into the infrastructure. Not being able to build Boost
libraries stand-alone (i.e., against a preinstalled set of prerequisite
Boost libraries) is one of my biggest complaints against the existing
Boost.Build logic.

(For example, I test and run development versions of Boost.Python
against various older Boost releases fairly regularly, but to be able to
do that I need to use my own build system, unfortunately.)

Stefan