Subject: Re: [boost] Asciidoc, an alternative for documentation
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-10-09 18:05:11

On 10/9/17 10:43 AM, Niall Douglas via Boost wrote:

> As an analogy, you may remember the "variant wars" which went on for
> nearly forever. A very simple, very well understood, object often
> generates the strongest opinions and people absolutely convinced that
> the other is wrong. Proof required to convince people thus rises
> accordingly.

This is better than an analogy - I think it's a good example.

And I think that those who seek "proof" are often misguided. Often I
wonder if the long contentious arguments about how something should be
done are really differences about what the component should actually be
expected to do.

Some differences of opinion are just not reconcilable. And sometimes
we'd be better off just accepting that and moving on until ideas evolve
until there exists a more widely held consensus. I'm not really
criticizing anyone here. It's something that just happens without the
participants being aware of it.

Robert Ramey