Subject: Re: [boost] Maintainers: Adding Coverity Scan to your library
From: James E. King, III (jking_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-10-12 13:28:27

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 9:22 AM, Vinnie Falco via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 6:02 AM, James E. King, III via Boost
> <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > I have completed the work necessary to add Coverity Scan
>
> The last time I looked at Coverity Scan, there was a weekly limit on
> the amount of build throughput (minutes?) per project. Has this
> situation changed?
>
> Thanks

They have throttling on submission results. The rate allowed depends on
the size of the project:
https://scan.coverity.com/faq#frequency

You can handle this a couple ways:

1. Create a coverity_scan branch and limit the travis integration to run
covscan.sh only on that branch. You control when coverity scan runs.
2. Add travis integration to scan master, this will scan pull requests or
merges into master. To kick off a build, submit a pull request of develop
into master as a preflight check. This will run and update Coverity Scan
with results from what will merge into master.

Even if you run it once or twice a month, project quality will improve
based on action taken on the results.

It is free for open source projects, so everyone should take advantage of
it.

- Jim