Subject: Re: [boost] How to build boost on windows with Clang/LLVM
From: degski (degski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-10-15 09:32:01

On 15 October 2017 at 12:11, Konstantin Ivlev via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> what was an error in your case?

Loads, just not right...

> also, what was the boost version? there are many patches for Clang build in
> develop not yet released in 1.65.1.

1.65.1 with some stuff from develop that allows boost to be compiled with
std=c++17 using vc15.4.

> I was able to build with the following config:
> =============start===============
> using clang : 5.0 :
> "C:/Program Files/LLVM/bin/clang.exe" :
> <compileflags>-fmsc-version=1910
> <compileflags>-DBOOST_USE_WINAPI_VERSION=0x0502
> <compileflags>-DBOOST_USE_WINDOWS_H=1
> <compileflags>-D_WIN32_WINNT=0x0502
> <compileflags>-DNOMINMAX
> <ranlib>"C:/Program Files/LLVM/bin/llvm-ranlib.exe"
> <archiver>"C:/Program Files/LLVM/bin/llvm-ar.exe"
> <linkflags>-fuse-ld=lld ;
> ==============end===============

I tried many things, but in some of those trials <ranlib>"C:/Program
Files/LLVM/bin/llvm-ranlib.exe" <archiver>"C:/Program
Files/LLVM/bin/llvm-ar.exe" being not defined was causing trouble, so I am
gonna give that a try and get back how it went.

You could give the latest snapshot build <http://llvm.org/builds/> a try
with <linkflags>-flto=thin added and see what it brings for you. It seems
impossible to build your app from the VS IDE though (the passing of
-flto=thin doesn't work somehow), but from the command line it gives
exellent results.

I would like to thank you for your post.

degski

--
"*Ihre sogenannte Religion wirkt bloß wie ein Opiat reizend, betäubend,
Schmerzen aus Schwäche stillend.*" - Novalis 1798