Subject: Re: [boost] Recommend dropping test coverage on msvc-7.1 and msvc-8.0
From: Ion Gaztañaga (igaztanaga_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-10-16 21:11:53

On 16/10/2017 22:34, Rene Rivera via Boost wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 3:11 PM, Ion Gaztañaga <igaztanaga_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> On 16/10/2017 14:02, Peter Dimov via Boost wrote:
>>>
>>> Three, you can just use a built-in Boost.Build feature:
>>>
>>> project : requirements <toolset>msvc-7:<build>no
>>> <toolset>gcc-4.1:<build>no ;
>>>

>> Toolset name can be defined in user-config.jam so msvc-7 is not a generic
>> solucion
>

> But this isn't a generic problem. You want to not run tests for specific
> toolsets that *testers* run. Hence using the toolset name that testers some
> times specify seems good enough to me :-)

I disagree. I want my library or tests not to be built for any toolset
that is really MSVC 7.1, I don't want to know every name every tester
uses to filter it out (runner or local testing). I understand that I
would start checking _MSC_VER macros or using predef, but I guess
Boost.Build already knows the version of the toolset, so it might be
interesting to use it.

>> , I define in my local regression tests toolsets named like gcc-7.1c++03,
>> gcc-7.1c++14... Maybe an additional feature could be added to filter
>> toolset version with some comparison operator. Just CC'ing Rene in case
>> it's a good idea for future developments.
>>

> You can already do that.. If you write your own conditional rule and have
> whatever comparison you want.

And how can access to the version of the toolset? the toolset property
is the name the user has chosen, the real version of the compiler could
not be there, a user can choose gcc-myfavouriteversion as the toolset
name. Or am I missing something?

Ion