Subject: Re: [boost] [msvc] #warning preprocessor directive
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-10-17 16:52:03

> Andrey Semashev wrote:
>
>> The fact that a particular compiler does not produce enough
>> information in its output is not the reason to ask for a new
>> preprocessor directive...
>
> "Let's add #warning to MSVC"
> "Why? Use #pragma message"
> "#pragma message is not as good on MSVC because..."
> "It's fine for me on non-MSVC"

"...and #pragmas are the intended way to extend preprocessor"

So, yes, I stand by my opinion. Use "#pragma message", improve MSVC. Or
standardize "#warning" both in C and C++ and _then_ ask compiler vendors
to support the standard feature. Do *not* ask to support non-standard
"#warning" in MSVC and then sprinkle #ifdefs around the code to support
this new directive on some compilers and "#pragma message" on others.

>>  ... noone else supports.
>
> Hello? #warning is a GCC directive.
>
> https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/cpp/Diagnostics.html

Hm, I didn't know it was supported by gcc.