Subject: Re: [boost] RFC.. Steering Committee Bylaws Proposal
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-10-18 16:03:11

>>> Since boost is also a member of the SFC, did it do the same?
>>
>> I have no idea. As joining the SFC was another one of those decisions made
>> mostly in obscurity.
>

> Indeed, I've never heard of that, nor know what the SFC is in fact.
> Could someone please elaborate? I guess this is the kind of things
> one hears about at BoostCon only? Thanks, --DD

The SFC can be found at https://sfconservancy.org/

Boost is by far the wealthiest member of the SFC, and as part of the SFC
it falls under US non-profit law.

Therefore you cannot just set new by laws or change the SC's
configuration without undergoing the formal legal process as established
under US non-profits regulations.

The bylaws you suggested earlier I believe are illegal under US charity
law. As I suggested, you need to add separation of powers and you'd
stand a much better chance of the SFC's lawyers okaying it.

As considerable sums of money are involved, fiduciary duty is very
important here, else the US IRS would correctly assess tax
non-compliance may be at work.

You might consider listening to the advice being given to you on this.
Some of us went down that rabbit hole many years ago. We may have even
nearly achieved getting some formal by laws written down, we were just
short on the SC votes.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting